Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Friendships and cancer


©Network of survival, Media LLC.  All rights reserved.

The breast cancer has made lots of friends in my life who now hold high places of honor.People who I thought were my friends fell from yesteryear, and I leave go. it is difficult to be abandoned by old friends, but do not take personally if it you arrive.beaucoup of people do not want to "too close" to cancer, because then they will be forced to consider that this can happen for the.

Before I have been diagnosed I was the picture of health: I've eaten whole grains, fruits and vegetables, lean meat, chicken and fish, no fried foods, some fast food have water aerobic six days a week; I was a perfect size 8, received annual visits and mammograms safe, remained out of the Sun, took vitamins and I've had alcohol in moderation. a friend told me that if I, who was straight, could get breast cancer it fear him thinking about his chances of getting breast cancer.However, it does not have its enough to get a mammogram or wish me as his friend scare: it has neither - because both have obliged to look more closely at the breast cancer. Instead of this, she chose to live in the land of denial.

Another friend, a publisher of a publication, I used to write, called and asked me how I was doing? "Sensational," I told. then as if it had launched me in the gut, she says, ", I wouldn't talk if I were you.". "It has a way to come back."Thank you very much, I thought.You sure have to support someone who is struggling for their vie.Quelques weeks later, she called to ask me to write something for the next issue, and I said non.quelles are my "no" really has well-meant, "no, I don't want anything to do with you ever." From this I said politely I had my hands full future predictable but thanks for thinking of me.

In fairness to the friends and knowledge, most people don't know what to say in front of a serious disease They don't know how to provide a comfort or are afraid to tell the bad chose.partir when I have been diagnosed, I wanted that people understand I was the same person I was before the breast, and I had even their friendship and to hear about their life. for when friends called and asked how I was, I would say, "I am grand.Comment are you?"."What have you been up to?"

I think that this response done two things: firstly, it relaxed the appellant since they expect, fearing perhaps hear my surgery, chemos, nausea, gory details etc., when they do not have them is not fear as to call me at new.Secondly, with regard to the conversation I was therapeutic for me if only for the duration of our conversation has helped this technique concentrate on someone other than me.I could do enough to think about me when I was seul.Et, are due to because they are flooding the with details, they gave me positive feedback.

"Seem you too happy"or"you sound you're doing great," they would say. their comments have helped me to create a positive, self-reinforcing thinking than myself: if everyone thought I was doing great, so I have to être.Et you know what? I was .j ' have been much better achieved cancer patient chest I knew which focused on themselves, concerned to each thing shortly, fear the worst and expressed to everyone they knew.

John Lennon and Paul McCartney were right: "I get with a little help from my friends".

No comments:

Post a Comment